Monday, February 9, 2009

Sunday - Monday




Sunday we attended the meeting at the local Kingdom Hall about twenty minutes away from our condo. The first thing I wanted to do, and did, was find the Watchtower Study conductor and give him my name so he could use my name when I raised my hand.

The comments from the congregation were not slow in coming and their quality was superior to what I am used to. So we got to about paragraph 13 before I raised my hand.

The congregation's comments were excellent, their singing was robust, their punctuality was commendable, but their marks for making a visitor feel welcome would not be high. We made a point of talking to some. Not one person made a point of approaching us. Every congregation has something to work on.

Monday we rested on the beach at Ana Maria Island before heading off to take Carol to see a doctor. She did much prior coordination by phone with Blue Cross but they did make an appointment with a recommended doctor here who prescribed something for her sinus troubles.

Then we had one of those great cold coffees at a temptingly nearby Starbucks where Carol took my picture in an orange chair, my first here, just to prove I've really been to Florida.

This was followed by grocery shopping before returning home to struggle with the installation of a new computer headset so we can use Skype. I finally got it to work the way it should.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Ed and Carol, there was a link on Andrew's page about your Florida trip, so I have been reading your delightful trip.

    Actually I had to laugh when you mention about the congregation in Florida not being friendly. Years ago to be exact 36yrs ago, we were in Florida with a group of brothers and sisters from our home congregation than, LaSalle. There were about 10 of us visiting on the Sunday meeting as you were, and we too noticed how well everything went and the marvelous comments given, but like your experience, no one came up to greet us after the meeting except on older white sister. I think she was the only white person there besides the white visitors! Many in our group felt very out of sorts because of this lack of love shown, and some started to say that maybe it was because we were white.

    Well I thought about it for a minute or so and then reminded 3 of the sisters in our group that although we were friends at this point, for the first year when I came into the truth, I thought these 3 did not like me for not once did they come and say hello to me or welcome me to the congregation...and we were all white!

    To me it seemed that the bros and sisters in Florida although not being cool on purpose, must just be so familiar with having visitors there every week, that it is not big deal if 3 whites or 3 blacks show up.

    On the other hand, if 3 or 4 show up in our part of the world, we are acutely aware of their presence! Both Dave and bro Roy Rickaby agreed with me, it was just no a big deal for those in Florida to have visitors, for we come and go each week.

    Anyways Ed and Carol, I just wanted to share that experience with you both.

    Things are going just fine here please give our love to the family.

    Love Dave and Marilyn

    ReplyDelete